We are affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, the association of Conservative congregations in North America.
Commack Jewish Center is an egalitarian Conservative synagogue and located in Commack, NY, on the North Shore of Long Island. It began with a few Jewish families coming together in 1957, was ‘born’ in 1958, and incorporated in June of 1959. Our first home was a storefront in the Mayfair Shopping Center followed by a house on the corner of Walter and Shirley Courts. As we moved into the ’60’s, the need for a real building became obvious.
The first section of our current building at 83 Shirley Court was completed in 1964 and it was expanded several times until its completion in the early ’70’s. The sanctuary was the last section of the synagogue to be decorated and it represents a tent in the dessert. The piece of wall between each set of windows represents the tent poles. The ceiling lights give the appearance of the moon shining in at night. The wall sconces are shaped like tents and the wall color and texture represent sand. The ark doors represent the fire and the clouds. The 12 tribes are around it all. One of the two Israeli flags flew over Jerusalem after the ‘67 war.
For over 50 years, Commack Jewish Center has provided the services and support of a Jewish community. We have an active Sisterhood and Men’s Club, a dedicated Executive Board, and we offer Adult Education classes taught by our Rabbi, David Klatzker. We also employ a part-time cantor. We welcome you to join us in our mission to be a synagogue that touches the Jewish soul through prayer, study, community and the performance of mitzvot.
(with gratitude to Doris Wegman for her research into our history)